This is a cast painting of a mask of Dante that I did in 2013. It is probably between this and the St Jerome (which my first cast painting) as to which is my most successful. I completed the painting in a relatively short space of time and I really like the atmosphere and depth. One of the things I am always trying to be more sensitive to is my handling of edges. The sense of depth in this painting is largely down to that aspect being successful. I also feel the overall value relationships have a clear logic to them and are fairly convincingly resolved.
Although I managed to avoid getting too fiddly, the brushwork could be broader and that would, I think, have improved the sense atmosphere further. I've written elsewhere that I feel my work has a heavy and sombre feel and I think trying to introducing some bravura brushwork may help with that. Working with a limited palette may be a factor too, but I don't think that's the overriding reason.
At the time of writing it has been some time since I did a cast painting but I am currently working on a small painting of a skull. I've been trying to work in a broader way on that piece and will post the results here once it is finished.
Ben Laughton Smith
Aspiring artist, training in the classical tradition.